Legislator Who Suggested Siberia For ‘Retarded’ Resigns

A New Hampshire lawmaker resigned Monday amid criticism for suggesting to a constituent that the state ship people with disabilities to Siberia.

Rep. Martin Harty, a 91-year-old first-term Republican in the state’s House of Representatives, drew fire after it became public that he told a constituent that “the world is too populated” with “too many defective people.”

“I wish we had a Siberia so we could ship them all off to freeze to death and die and clean up the population,” Harty continued, according to the constituent’s account. He specified that he was referring to “the mentally ill, the retarded, people with physical disabilities and drug addictions.”

When questioned about the comments last week, Harty was unapologetic and told the Concord Monitor that he was “just kidding.”

But on Monday Harty submitted his letter of resignation to state House Speaker William O’Brien.

“With all the slightly unfavorable publicity I’ve been getting the last few days, I’ll never be an effective lawmaker,” Harty wrote in the handwritten letter. “Sorry my big mouth caused this furor.”

Harty’s resignation will become official Tuesday when his letter of resignation is read on the House floor.

More in Politics »

1. Autisticandawesome says:

Good Riddance.

2. mikey71 says:

All I can say is – GOOD!

3. pattyrocks says:

His resignation is good news.

4. debgk says:

Good that he resigned, but still work to be done! How nice if someone could follow up with this man – esp. someone with one of the labels he put down. How about someone from NH People First?

Imagine if we could turn his ignorance around? Maybe he really had NO CLUE … maybe he even learned something here? (maybe I’m the eternal optimist =).

Never overlook a potential future champion. Of course, if the follow up reveals a truly “set in his ways” cranky person, the yeah … good riddance!!

5. dmorstad says:

“…SLIGHTLY unfavorable publicity…”?????

6. debbyt627 says:

By resigning he “cleaned up” the congress. My son may have I’d but he has compassion for others. This guy could learn a lot from my not-so-defective son.

7. pbaker says:

This is just unbelievable! How on earth could he even think such a thing!

8. Mikew527 says:

At 91 I wonder how affective he would really be. Arizona or Florida are calling you Mr. Harty. The old folks home may be your next stop.
    Dont let the door hit you.