Hollywood Pros Teach Adults With Disabilities Moviemaking

A unique Los Angeles-area program is giving adults with developmental disabilities a shot at landing jobs in the movie business.

Through Inclusion Films, individuals with autism, cerebral palsy and Down syndrome are learning from professional actors, cinematographers and other Hollywood insiders how to make movies.

The 20-week course teaches those with special needs nearly every aspect of the film business — from writing scripts to shooting and editing and making real films of their own.

The goal of the program founded by Joey Travolta — a former special educator and the older brother of actor John Travolta — is to help those with disabilities obtain employment in the movie industry. But even graduates who don’t end up working in the field gain from the experience, those behind the effort say.

“A lot of our students aren’t going to be filmmakers and may never work in the film business, but they are going to be able to go into the workplace and have a sense of what it’s like to be on the job. This builds their self-confidence,” Travolta told the Los Angeles Times. To read more click here.

More in Living »

1. Kym Grosso says:

This program sounds very cool. Wish we had it in our state…my teenage son would LOVE it!

2. Linda Gorley says:

Hats off to you, Joey Travolta. What a great idea. My son would love to have the opportunity, especially if he was in the movie.

3. Michelle says:

My daughter with CP studied film production in college. She is still trying to get a job using her talent and skills. I’m happy to hear that some people provide opportunities to those who have challenges.

4. seeandbesafe.com says:

If this isn’t the coolest thing in the world I don’t know what is. What a great opportunity to be given anyone. I am so jealous. There is no such program to speak of here in New Orleans. Hopefully this translate into careers for these students.

5. Leslie Nist says:

What a wonderful gift! It warms my heart to read about this opportunity. Thank you Joey Travolta. Wish I could be there to help. My sister had Downs and was such an inspiration and a hoot!

6. Leroy Moore says:

Hahaha,
    We don’t need a program coming from Hollywood but what we really need is Hollywood erase their ableism and them hire more disabled actors, writers…………..