New ADA Rules Put On Hold

Facing significant pushback, the Justice Department says it will again delay implementation of a new accessibility requirement under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

New standards designed to ensure that existing public swimming pools are accessible for people with disabilities will now take effect Jan. 31.

Initially the rules were supposed to be implemented in March. But complaints from the hotel industry led to a 60-day extension to allow for public comment on the issue.

In light of the comments received, the Justice Department determined that more time was needed in order to allow pool owners to comply and to address “concerns and misunderstandings.”

The department plans to issue a technical assistance document clarifying the new rules soon.

The changes are part of a 2010 update to the ADA, which marked the first major overhaul of the law since it was enacted more than two decades ago.

More in Politics »

1. Thomas C. Weiss says:

Exclusion = discrimination.

2. annie says:

Accessibility in this country has a really long way to go… this really saddens me. What I really want to see is demand for historic downtown business buildings to be accessible. I live in a “historic town” and we can’t go to almost any downtown stores or restaurants because the ADA doesn’t require historic buildings to modify their structure. Yes they would still have to serve my family, but from the door. What if I wanted to browse? It’s totally ridiculous that a little pavement ramp can’t be added to a stoop that is for whatever reason 12 inches off the ground. When I complain to businesses they shove the need to preserve historic integrity in my face, which I must immediately counter with: no building’s integrity should be protected above that of a human being’s. I write my politicians all the time and they ignore me, they just don’t seem to think people who use mobility devices deserve the same access as people who can walk up stairs.

3. vmgillen says:

I wish Disability Scoop would be forthright with attributions… surely this appeared somewhere? Sorry, I can’t go to my politicians and say “as reported by Disability Scoop” – a search doesn’t turn up usable sources either. Nothing from the US DOJ? the NY Times (or one of the other “record” papers)? Anyway, readers should NOT even have to do a search. “As reported by….spokesperson for…” does not mean the reporter’s byline.

4. Lynn says:

Let me tell you about one hotel/resort that has made the required ADA accessibility additions to their waterpark. Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells!

Interesting to me, living in “The Water Park Capital of the World” that because the million dollar hotel industry complains, the rulings will be put on hold til January. So another season of in-accessibility. As a family, we love going to water parks. When my son, now 18, was little, we would carry him up the many flights of stairs for him to participate in riding the slides with us. Now, it is not possible. We were even told at one park, after he ‘scooted’ up the 4 flights of stairs, that they (the park) wanted us to sign a paper saying they were not responsible for him. AND they attempted to put on a bright orange wristband, that signified their lifeguards were not to help him. Later, when we complained to management, they claimed that “cripples” shouldn’t be able to ride the slides. Frustrating to say the least.

So, lets make these companies, who make millions in a season, make some of the family slides accessible with chair lifts or elevators….hope to see this in my lifetime.

5. Electric_Pink says:

@vmgillen, this information is posted on the U.S. Department of Justice’s ADA Website (ada.gov).

6. CJ Taylor says:

Let’s be reasonable here. Businesses have only had 22 years to remove barriers. Some things just can’t be rushed.

7. CJ Taylor says:

Please note my last comment was written with sarcasm. For some reason that bit isn’t showing in the comment box.