Judge Orders Man To Hold ‘I Am A Bully’ Sign

An Ohio man accused of harassing his neighbor and her children with developmental disabilities stood at a busy street corner this weekend with a sign proclaiming “I am a bully.”

Edmond Aviv, 62, spent five hours Sunday at a heavily trafficked intersection in the Cleveland suburb of South Euclid, Ohio, reports the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

“I am a bully. I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself. My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live in,” the sign read.

Aviv was ordered to take to the street corner by Judge Gayle Williams-Byers after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct stemming from a long-running dispute with his neighbor, Sandra Prugh, who has two adopted children with developmental disabilities.

Over the last 15 years, Prugh has accused Aviv of spitting on her, directing a racial slur at her and creating a device to blow kerosene fumes toward her property which made one of her children sick. Prugh also said that Aviv once smeared feces on her family’s wheelchair ramp, among other accusations.

Dozens of cars honked and some 89 people yelled insults at Aviv, the Northeast Ohio Media Group reports.

“The judge destroyed me,” Aviv said. “This isn’t fair at all.”

More in Living »

1. Allison says:

Hurrah for Judge Gayle Willams-Byers, finally some meaningful consequence for bullies. We need more Judges like Honorable Willams-Byers. Fines are ineffective. Though – I hope he had to pay court costs too. How about some civil penalties as well?

2. Carol Browwn says:

When Mr. Aviv made the comment “The judge destroyed me.” “This isn’t fair at all”. Does he not realize the destruction he was doing to the neighbor children and their mother? Bullys never see that what they are doing is wrong. Let’s hope that like the Grinch, he will understand and that someday his heart will grow!

3. Jimmyt says:

Sounds as though the punishement for bullying, was indeed bullying itself..?? This likely increased his resentment and ignorance of the disabled and did nothing to increase the bully’s knowlege or understanding. Maybe working at or serving those with disabilities at a workshop or home would have been more productive..??

4. Jon K. Evans says:

Spitting and directing a racial slur? ISN’T THAT A HATE CRIME? The judge was stoned nice to Edmond Aviv because he was supposed to get automatic jail time!

5. marie camp says:

This man needed a lesson also in hummanity by doing community service in helping the disabled. These type of people have some issues lurking in the inside. I feel truly sorry for his unhappiness. The sentence was too lienent.

6. Carol says:

While the idea of community service is great in theory, I wouldn’t want this man anywhere near my children. He needs mandatory anger management classes or some sort of therapy. Otherwise, not a big surprise that a bully doesn’t like being bullied and thinks it is unfair. I am sure he always sees himself as a victim.

7. Tendai says:

If you follow the link to the original article you’ll find that this is the FOURTH TIME he has been convicted of harassing his neighbors and he was sentenced to 15 days in jail, probabtion and a fine. He definitely should NOT be anywhere near vulnerable people with disabilities to learn a lesson. Their lives should not be a learning experience for a nasty human being like him. He tormented and spat on this poor lady for 15 years andd shouted racial epithets at a few of his neighbors. He is a bully and it seems like he got a taste of his own medicine by those who shouted at him while he sat on the corner of the street.

8. Lela says:

Doesn’t sound like he learned a thing & will probably go on harassing this family and others with disabilities. I agree with the poster who said this was not a proper punishment – he should have been made to do some sort of community service work with people with disabilities. At least that would have given him more insight into who he was bullying and how it affects them.

9. Sarah says:

In answer to Jimmyt, no the punishment is not bullying itself but rather a punishment that fit the crime. I worked in the criminal justice system for most of my life, and things like working at a disabilities workshop or home only increases the opportunity for the perpetrator to abuse more victims. Penalties like that are reserved for people who are truly repentant and wish to make amends. This jerk doesn’t qualify–he is angry, resentful, despicable and I caught him on television–wholly unrepentant. Public shaming was exactly the way to go!

10. Laurie says:

I am from Cleveland, and there is more to the story

He also was sentenced to 15 days in jail, has to go to anger management classes and get counseling, and had to write a letter of apology to the mother.

11. William Rist says:

It is very sad that people are to ignorant to help those with disabilities. Instead of making situations better for the disabled people, it’s people like Mr. Aviv, who have failed to be a part of the solution in society. There will come a time in life when everyone suffers a weakness so, my advice Mr. Aviv,is if you are 62 you might want to consider learning to respect those who have disabilites and to help assist, or perhaps you might end up with more future problems than you have now.