Teen To Carry Brother With Cerebral Palsy On 40-Mile Trek

An eighth grader plans to carry his 7-year-old brother with cerebral palsy piggyback on a unique 40-mile journey, all in an effort to raise awareness.

Hunter Gandee, 14, tells The Blade in Toledo, Ohio he will walk from Temperance, Mich. to the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor carrying his younger brother, Braden, who uses a walker and braces.

Traveling on local roads, Hunter Gandee estimates the trip will take 13 hours. The boys plan to set out on June 7 and will make a one-night stop along the way before arriving on June 8. A group of volunteers and the boys’ parents will travel by car ahead of them.

Hunter Gandee said his brother is his “inspiration.” The 150-pound teen who wrestles and plays football plans to carry 50-pound Braden on his back.

“I’m excited about the walk,” Braden Gandee told the newspaper, adding that he will talk to his brother and sing songs to occupy the time.

More in Cerebral Palsy »

Disability Scoop welcomes comments, though only a selection are published. In determining which comments will appear beneath a story, we look for submissions that are thoughtful and add new ideas or perspective to the issues addressed within the story. Please keep your remarks brief and refrain from inserting links.

1. Claudia Nava says:

Truly Amazing! Best of luck Hunter and I know you can and will finish your 40K. Your brother Braden is an inspiration because he looks up to you, HIS inspiration, YOU. God bless you and your family.

2. Betty Ed Young says:

Hunter, you are an insparation to ME! What love and commitment you are showing. Makes me feel much more positive about the future of our country.

3. Betty Ed Young says:

Wish there had been a spell-check. I mean inspiration!

4. Patty Sprofera says:

5. Linda says:

Hunter you are a brave, courageous, and sweet brother. I am proud of you. Thank you! I pray that God will give you His strength to complete your goal.

6. Michele Klingbeil says:

Hunter – this will be an amazing trip for You and your Brother. A connection that no others can really understand. I am wondering if this is a fund raiser and how one might be able to contribute.

7. Glenda Creech says:

Hunter – you are an inspiration to me even though I am 64 years old for I have a 62 year old sister with CP and am and have been involved with her care all her life. I know the strong bond you two share and this walk together will strengthen this bond that you two will carry all your life. God bless you – you are a remarkable young man. I know your parents are proud.

Copyright © 2008-2015 Disability Scoop, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Reprints and Permissions