Video Of Judge Beating Girl With Cerebral Palsy Sparks Outrage

A Texas judge is under investigation after a video of him beating his daughter who has cerebral palsy went viral on the internet.

The seven-minute video, which was recently posted by Hillary Adams, shows her father, Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams, striking the then-16-year-old with a belt repeatedly as punishment after the girl illegally downloaded music from the internet.

Now, 23, Hillary Adams says she posted the video seven years after the incident occurred because she feared the consequences for her, her mother and her sister if she took the video public while still living with her father.

In his position as a judge, Hillary Adams’ father does hear cases involving children. Since the video hit the Web, it’s had more than 1.6 million views on YouTube and outraged individuals from around the world have posted on Facebook and contacted local officials calling for action.

For his part, Judge Adams says he did nothing more than discipline his child, reports The Today Show.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

More in Cerebral Palsy »

1. marklolson says:

Judge Adams claims he did nothing wrong, that he was only disciplining his daughter. I’m an adult male over 6 feet. I’m pretty sure if I took a belt to the judge for seven minutes he’d have me arrested and prosecuted for aggravated assault and battery. If he’s not sure, I’d be happy to take seven minutes and prove it to him. Failure to prosecute him for this will only embolden others to abuse the disabled.

2. violetred says:

I don’t know what’s more grotesque…the actual video or knowing that this kind of thing went on and was sanctioned by the mother for many years. I hope this young woman gets far away from both her parents and gets some therapy, lest she repeat the pattern with her own kids.
    I’m starting to think they should show these videos in parenting classes. It might be a wake up call for people with anger issues to start to think about how they are going to handle conflicts with their kids.

3. TheFoxx says:

I couldn’t agree more marklolson. This is horrifying. Take it like a woman? Is she serious? I really don’t think the fact that this child has CP has anything to do with the fact that she has clearly been abused by her parents and they need to be thrown in jail.

4. vmgillen says:

This goes beyond a “disability” issue. There must be something in Texas inciting the violent side of human nature: Perry’s prideful announcement of the number executed under his governorship (and the ensuing applause!), manipulation of evidence by prosecutors seeking the death penalty…etc.

5. siankolio says:

I must say that I resent vmgillen’s comment singling out Texans for violent behavior. There are many of us here in Texas who abhor Perry’s push to execute first, ask questions later….and there are many more of us who find the judge’s behavior toward his daughter horrible and criminal! I sincerely doubt that these kinds of things happen only in Texas….they shouldn’t happen ANYWHERE, but to insinuate that Texans are more violent than people in other states is just plain WRONG! Betty Young

6. Susanne says:

I agree with vmgillen!! There must be something about Texas. This is abuse, whether she has a disability or not. Marklolson said give him 7 minutes, I wouldn’t mind having half of those and using the belt on that creep myself!

7. vmgillen says:

siankolio: I apologize, and would like to amplify: this is not a question of “anyone can do it” – this is a question of electeds and public servants: people who are accountable to their constituents. Your state has been getting a lot of bad press as far as public officials and violence against fellow humans is concerned. Perhaps not enough people care enough to vote against this, or to hold their officials accountable? How long will it take to remove this judge? I hope the answer is: very little time. I also hope he isn’t cut loose with a lovely tax-payer paid severence package.

8. Deborah Lacy says:

I would like to see how he would feel to be arrested, (as the parents were when their autistic child left the home. That judge should not be allowed to be on his post any longer. And he still has no remorse is what is terrible. I feel sorry for his family that allowed this to happen as well, (his wife and the siblings of the girl), who seem to fear him so much.

9. MMead says:

We often hear from those who fight to uphold this practice for those under the age of 18 (even to the blaming of the social maladies of the day on a supposed “lack” of it), but we rarely, if ever, find advocates for the return of corporal punishment to the general adult community, college campuses, inmate population, or military. Why is that?

Ask ten unyielding proponents of child/adolescent/teenage-only “spanking” about the “right” way to do it, and what would be abusive, indecent, or obscene, and you will get ten different answers.

These proponents should consider making their own video-recording of the “right way” to do it.

Visit Unlimited Justice or Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education to learn more and add your voice.

10. TheFoxx says:

MMead – thank you for the resources, I will definitely be adding my voice to them!

11. Tim says:

Unbleavable! This is a judge? Your kidding right?? How can a judge that beating a child with a belt for seven minutes (7 whole minutes) is not wrong? This is assult, surely he has to know that much. This is an issue of violence in the home, and it’s sick. Frankly, I don’t think anyone should ever have the right to beat another person. Why should it be ok to beat a child? If I took a belt and hit another adult in anger, I would rightfully be jailed for assult. How is hitting someone who is too small or weak to defend themself “discipine” in the eyes of the law? If anything this guy should be punished by the law even harder BECAUSE his daughter has a disability and is more vonerable to being hurt!