Boy With Cerebral Palsy Becomes YouTube Sensation

For most fifth-graders, running in a 400-meter race is no big deal. But for Matt Woodrum, who has cerebral palsy, the run took nearly every ounce of energy he could muster.

Now, video of the Ohio 11-year-old’s inspirational run is a worldwide hit. It’s logged more than 1.2 million views on YouTube and aired on the Today show.

The five-minute clip shows Woodrum giving his all as he’s initially surpassed by his classmates. But as the boy nears the end of the race, some 50 other students spontaneously joined him cheering, “let’s go Matt, let’s go.”

For Woodrum, who typically uses a walker at school, the support of his peers meant a lot.

“Just because you’re disabled doesn’t mean you can’t try,” he told The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. To read more click here.

More in Cerebral Palsy »

1. Julie says:

OMG I started crying just as that caption came up that said it was okay to cry. What a wonderful story!

2. Kris McCann says:

As a Mom with a daughter with cerebral palsy, it also brought tear to my eye. What courage for the young boy and what an incredible teacher and great kids, this shows how wonderful people can be. Love it!

3. Dot N says:

Hope this will be shown at PE teacher conferences as an example of how PE and sports are for EVERYONE! What a fab teacher–wish I had had someone like him. What a role model for Matt’s classmates!!!!

4. Tim says:

Wow, if that doesn’t show the humanity and love in the world, nothing will! As someone with cp, this was deeply moving to watch.

5. Meagan says:

Does Matt do Special Olympics? If he doesn’t I think he would love track and field.

6. Claudia says:

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. What a great gym teacher and fellow classmates. Congratulations to Matt.

7. Joan says:

Thank you for uploading this video. I liked some of the kids at the end giving him high 5’s and putting their arms around each other.

8. Kim Alldis says:

Matt, you have shown people what a little belief in your self can achieve. You have not only run and finished a race you have inspired your peers to offer support in a worth while achievement. This kind of influence upon others, helps the world turn with a smile for someone else. Thankyou for your inspiration. I wish you a world of smiles in your future endeavours.

9. matt says:

Wow that was awesome. I’ve got the same name as him. What a great name first of all. My twin brother also suffers from CP, but that has never stopped him from competing in any sport. My bro can drain threes all day. Great to see Matt run. Takes a lot of determination. I hope he keeps doing what he’s doing. He is truly an inspiration to all.

10. Bruce Morgan says:

Go Matt!!!. I bet your calves were tight after that! I have CP and so does my wife. I have done some trialthlons. Can someone put my wife and I in touch with Matt and his family?

Bruce Morgan
    BruceMorganmba@yahoo.com

11. Marilyn Morgan says:

That was such an inspiring post. My husband and I both have CP. We understand all of the struggles. Sometimes people are not as supporting as your post. Your school has great spirit! Congrats Matt! We would love to contact you.We are both college-educated. Bruce has an MBA and I have a BA – plus 2 children.

Marilyn Morgan