‘Autistic’ Comments Put Rapper 50 Cent On Hot Seat

Rapper 50 Cent is apologizing after he was lambasted for a series of comments on Twitter that were seen by many as critical of those with disabilities.

When a fan contacted 50 Cent on Twitter recently to say “release the album or get shot again,” the rap artist reportedly responded by saying “yeah just saw your picture fool you look autistic.”

Subsequently, 50 Cent followed up to say “I dont want no special ed kids on my time line follow some body else.”

The Twitter comments garnered harsh reaction on the social network, leading actress Holly Robinson Peete — who has a son with autism — to take on the rapper.

“I hope you can see how what you might see as a benign insult — or not — was so randomly hurtful, immature and misinformed,” Robinson Peete wrote in an open letter on her website. “If you’ve read your mentions today I am sure you have felt the wrath of autism parents. We are no joke. Neither is autism. We are not about to let you attempt to make ‘autistic’ the new ‘R-word’ under our watch.”

In response, 50 Cent took to Twitter again Sunday, telling his 6.8 million followers, “I realize my autism comments were insensitive, however it was not my intention to offend anyone and for this I apologize.”

The original tweets were also removed from 50 Cent’s Twitter feed.

More in Living »

1. Jo-Jo says:

“No Intention to offend anyone” What a load of bollocks, this Guy needs to wake up….What a waste of space! Tell you what he needs to explain himself much better than this as he did try to offend!!!!

2. Thomas C. Wood says:

I am Autistic, & I am very offended by this little twit sluring people like me.

3. Laura says:

My teenage brother is autistic. He likes the artists music and would be sad to hear his degrading remarks. Grow up… And karma gets everyone!

4. fairlady68 says:

I am amazed if this guy even knows what “autistic” means…

5. KA101 says:

Well, he almost stuck the not-pology…but he forgot to make it an apology “if” anyone was offended. Whoops, 50 Cent, you got one tiny thing right. Aside from that, textbook insult & socially “appropriate” damage control. This autie is not favorably impressed.

6. Sherri Mullinax says:

Maybe he should give everyone he offended 50cents, then he would know how many! lol. Or his apology was worth 50 cents, or here’s two quarters call someone who cares or, I would not give 50 cents for any of his music! Autisim is not a joke. Grow up!

7. ann masotti says:

I think the entire community of the Disabled ought to boycott his records, concerts and anything that would make this creep money….perhaps that would get the attention of many like him who make offensive remarks. This remark not only hurts, but to the legions of fools who follow a person like this character, the words become the next “cool” thing to repeat. I’m for sending a message from a Community, of which my daughter is a part of, that we are not going to stand for this kind of ignorance.

8. Cathy says:

His comments were cruel and in my opinion his apology was insincere. Not his intention to offend anyone? Really? Guess what, you did! He used the word “autism” as an insult! I agree wholeheartedly with Holly Robinson-Peete, don’t throw the word “autism” around in an inappropriate and hurtful manner as has been done with the “R” word. Ann has the right idea – boycott, hit him in the wallet.

9. JudyK says:

OMG! you cant say anything nowadays without someone getting offended! COME ON! What happen to freedom of speech? Would they all rather he said that other hated word “retard” I dont call people these things and I dont think its nice but whoever said 50 Cent was known for his “niceness”? I think the world is getting entirely too sensitive! Grow up people! I happen to have a niece with Autism and I love her dearly but it still doesnt mean you can or should try to sensor everyone’s every statement. If you dont like it then dont follow 50 Cent’s twitter! Everyone should be able to say something without a bunch of cry babies getting all whiny about it!

10. susan R. says:

50 cents needs to remember that noone likes to have their religion, color, ethinic background, medical condition, or disability used as a slur against anyone. There is no reason for it. I’m sure he’s sorry he said it, but sadly, it says alot about his real feelings and intentions. Glad I’ve never been a fan and I don’t see it happening in the future. Every time I see his name, I’ll remember what he said.

11. Dawn G. says:

I am a very pro-active Mother of an adorable, smart, funny Autistic son. I am a little offended by his twitter comment but… a lesson I learned about 6 yrs ago when my son was 3 & at his worse stage was to educate those who are ignorant about autism and other special needs & then forgive them & just pray that 1 day they will be more sensitive & informed.

12. JJK says:

Would 50 cent be ok with me using the “N” word…..JudyK….its not that we are to sensitive…its called just being respectful and maybe thinking before you speak….

13. Cathy says:

Judy, Freedom of Speech allowed 50 Cent to make his remarks, and you to support his right to say whatever he wishes, as well as mine to respond by saying his remarks were insensitive and insulting. We’re all entitled to our opinions. I too have a family member with autism, my precious son, and will work hard to inform people not to view autism in such a negative light that it becomes a way to hurt another person’s feelings. Doesn’t make me a whiny, cry baby; it makes me an advocate.

14. Barney Vincelette says:

This is a reflection on hip hop culture, uneducated, fraudulent pretending to be a great art form that it is not. A typical rapper can grunt his “songs” with little to no training and wants to be treated like a graduate of the Julliard School. Mr. Dre, calls himself “Doctor” without ever having earned that right from any university ; he dropped out of high school. If they lie to themselves by pretending to be what they are not, they cannot be expected to respect the dignity of others because they refuse to respect themselves. If they know they are frauds but hoodwink society into making them stars, they are sociopaths who steal all their accolades from their gullible fans. The centerpiece of that culture is to noise pollute just to show who’s boss, telling fans to blast this junk culture music from public address systems in cars. Don’t tell me that they have no meaning to abuse and to offend everyone around them. $.50 and his target audience are in no position to suggest that he is mentally superior to many HFA people with IQ’s several standard deviations above his. Mr Dre and $(1/2) are in no position to suggest some other group is somehow inferior.

15. Jon K. Evans says:

This genre of music, and the lifestyles of those that listen to it, are based on the glorification of violence, the abuse of women, the abuse of ANYONE that does not fit in. Ttanslated, if you don’t have pants on the ground; father illegitimate children, drive around in rolling ghetto blasters, or have massive Port Wine stains all over your body, then you are subject to have rocks thrown at you-literally! I had the misfortune of having a bunch of hip-hop thugs throw rocks at me as I was passing by! So naturally, persons with disabilities such as Autism/Asperger’s will be a target of such abuse.

16. Jon K. Evans says:

Mr. Vintcelette:
    I SO LIKE YOUR COMMENT

17. Glen S says:

I’m amazed ya’ll are still using antiquated language at all.