Bullied Girl With Special Needs Finds Unlikely Defenders

When Chy Johnson, who has a brain disorder, faced a torrent of bullies, she found an unexpected set of heroes in her high school’s football team.

Johnson, 16, came home from school crying every day after classmates picked on her because of her differences, even throwing trash at her. Fed up, Johnson’s mom reached out to a family friend in hopes of identifying the girl’s tormentors.

Instead, that friend — Carson Jones — took action. As a senior on the Queen Creek, Ariz. school’s varsity football team, Jones rallied the squad to support Johnson, inviting her to eat lunch with them and watching out for her during the school day.

The team’s efforts have made all the difference. “They save me because I won’t get hurt again,” Johnson told KTVK in Phoenix. “They’re not mean to me, because all my boys love me.”

More in Education »

1. Laurie says:

Now those are boys with character who you know are going to be men with character. They are the people who make a difference in the world. Hats off to Carson Jones and the team!

2. Brent says:

All I can say is ‘wow’

3. Joyce says:

My question is, where were the teachers & administration of the school?

4. Gregory Doan says:

Those young men should be commended for their willingness to assist a fellow classmate! The young people we serve at Zach’s Place Center, a program of Special Kids Special Families, often report that because of the safety skills training and bully prevention training they receive they are more self confident and know better how to deal with bullying. GREAT article! We need more GOOD NEWS when it comes to the disability community.

5. Liz says:

These boys are role models and will move on to be the leaders in their community. Let’s hope this attitude of caring for others spreads to others. I also question the reason the teachers and administrators continue to allow our special children to be subjected to bullying. When this happened to my child and it was reported, administrators questioned him repeatedly until he would finally say the bullies were his ‘friends’ and they were all just having fun. They knew he was bullied, but didn’t want to document this because it makes the school look bad. It continued all year and teachers never did a thing to stop it. Three cheers for this football team!!! I wish there were boys like these in all schools.

6. annie says:

That’s a great story. Horrifying that other students actually threw trash at her, but uplifting to see her football team support inclusion in their group. If only more role models had that much character.

7. Joanne says:

Bravo to you guys! You should be proud of yourselves!
    Doesn’t that feel good, to help someone?
    Blessings!

8. Cathy says:

As a special education advocate, I saw too much support for bullies by teachers and especially by administrators. I had one suburban principal tell me there was no bullying in his suburban high school. He made this very erroneous statement after hearing from the family of a student who had been subjected to spitting and beating over many weeks. Since then the school was scandalized by a Facebook page that had been set up specifically to ridicule kids with disabilities and by the firing of the principal who was having relations with his secretary in his office during the workday. CHARACTER COUNTS!!

9. Christy says:

Through my tears, I say thank you. Thank you to this mother for thinking outside the box and asking Carson for help. Thank you to Carson, Tucker, and the rest of the team for stepping up to be real men and lending a hand to someone who needed it. There was no need for violence or threats, just ACCEPTANCE. Thank you to the parents of these young men for creating such caring, modest, young men. What a fantastic story. Every school needs a group of Chy’s Guys <3

10. cheryltheis says:

And this, dear DS folks, is why INCLUSION has such power (when actually done right)–it benefits all of them!

11. Julie says:

COURAGEOUS, valiant young men. This story needs to make the Nightly (national) News on all networks. Bravo guys, bravo!

12. Glen Sperling says:

I am so glad to see stories like this. I am a legally blind hydrocephalic who was subjected to similar treatment twenty plus years ago in school. I was the school outcast until some upperclassmen took me under their wing as well. God bless the boys in this story!