Job Market Looking Up For People With Disabilities

As the nation’s unemployment rate dropped to a four-year low, people with disabilities saw improvements in the labor market as well.

The jobless rate for Americans with disabilities fell to 12.3 percent in February, the U.S. Department of Labor said Friday. That’s down from 13.7 percent the previous month.

The gains for those with disabilities appeared to mirror positive signs in the workforce as a whole. Labor statistics show the unemployment rate for the general population was 7.7 percent last month, down slightly from 7.9 percent in January, as the economy added 236,000 jobs.

The Labor Department began tracking employment among people with disabilities in October 2008. There is not yet enough data compiled to establish seasonal trends among this population, so statistics for this group are not seasonally adjusted.

Data on people with disabilities covers those over the age of 16 who do not live in institutions. The first employment report specific to this population was made available in February 2009. Now, reports are released monthly.

More in Money »

1. Behjat Rupani says:

every thing is growing the implement is getting better, getting for the disable. but still on struggling to get a stable job and relax and get time to the family.

2. colin coady says:

This is not a comment but a question. How or who do I contact to help me in my job search. I know people judge me because of my speech difficulties. I feel like I am being discriminated because of it, having a very hard time getting a job. Are there local agencies that can help?

3. Kiel Jefrey says:

Yes. Contact your local Regional Center. Thy should be able to give you information on a service provider who can advocate for you.

4. Whitney says:

The numbers they do not look at are the underemployment figures. This means that more people are employed but the job data incomplete this means it does not tell what the person is earning, is it full time, and does come with benefits. The underemployment means people are barely making it and not thriving whether if a person disable or not. So this feel good stat but there not enough questions as to what is providing the improvement. If I was leading job economist I would focus more on the Underemployment which is a part time jobs with no benefits which makes families go on entitlement programs such as food stamps.

Last time I check 26% to 30% which extremely high compared to the the 7%. It is all a matter how one interpret the numbers and that is subjective as well.

5. Michael Jacobs says:

Anyone who works with indiviudals with disabilities knows that all disabilities are not created equil. It is hard to believe the 12% unemployment rate when considering that the unemployment rate for ndividuals with developmental disabilities is 80% (National Association of Councils on Developmental disabilities (NACDD).

6. Rachel says:

@colin coady
    Each state and some territories have their own developmental disabilities council, and if you get in touch with your local council, they may have useful resources for you. I know that the Arizona council has some pretty handy resources.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Best,