Hundreds Respond To Last-Minute Down Syndrome Adoption Plea

A posting on Facebook seeking an adoptive family for an unborn child with Down syndrome who would otherwise be aborted has yielded hundreds of responses from interested moms and dads around the globe.

Earlier this week, a volunteer at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Gainesville, Va. posted an urgent note on Facebook after Rev. Thomas Vander Woude at the church convinced a couple in another state not to go through with an abortion if he could find an adoptive family for their child who had been diagnosed prenatally with Down syndrome.

“There is a couple in another state who have contacted an adoption agency looking for a family to adopt their Downs Syndrome unborn baby. If a couple has not been found by today they plan to abort the baby. If you are interested in adopting this baby please contact Fr. VW IMMEDIATELY,” read the note posted early Monday morning on the social network.

The response was overwhelming with calls pouring in all day and more than 900 emails sent in regard to the baby, church officials told The Washington Times. Inquiries came from across the United States and as far away as England, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands.

The parents — who are not being identified publicly — are now considering three prospective families with the help of an adoption agency.

More in Down Syndrome »

1. Adoptive Mother says:

This story saddens me. It’s an opportunistic ploy and is here simply bc the pregnancy revealed the child would be born with DS. Abortion and adoption are not two sides of the same coin. Perpetuating that myth helps no one, including individuals with disabilities. I’m disappointed this story was shared on such a usually informative website.

2. Regina says:

I actually liked the outcome. I am pro-choice and if I find myself pregnant I will have an abortion. I never wanted children, still don’t. But wanting a child and deciding to have an abortion because the child is disabled is saying that you are too good for a defective offspring. It is eugenics and I am not in favor of eugenics.

3. KA101 says:

Re “too good”: or perhaps not up to the task?

The whole point of “pro-choice” is that it’s the pregnant individual’s choice, full stop. Ours not to second-guess, because it isn’t our bodies and our lives on the line.

And as for eugenics: I’d rather be a genocide victim than a slaver, but I can understand that some people really like the idea of living.

4. Debbie Brown Rowley says:

Thank you for sharing that story. It is encouraging to know that so many families would welcome a child with a disability. Each person’s life is valuable no matter what disability or challenge he or she faces.

5. Adoptive Mom Too says:

Well said AM! I also agree with KA101.

6. Joanne says:

What it is about our culture that says that babies with Down Syndrome are “defective?” or that children with Down Syndrome are intrinsically “harder” to raise than children without Down Syndrome? (Raising any kid is quite a “task,” disability or not!)

If people are responding to the lack of supports/access in our society for raising kids or supporting adults with disabilities, supports and access should be the conversation, not disability.

Women’s rights aside (separate issue), these are the questions I would want to explore.

7. Mom of a special needs child says:

I’m so happy to hear that a beautiful life has been saved!

8. Dani says:

What a wonderful story.As the mother of a man with disabilities, I’m thrilledt hjat people have stepped up and are doing this.

9. 2onthespectrum says:

Joanne, I totally agree with you! I LOVE my children, but the lack of support from the county/state/insurance companies makes life incredibly challenging. I’m not too proud to say there have been days that I have been completely overwhelmed by my sons’ disability (autism) and I have had my tantrums and cry outs. More supports and resources, as well as appropriate therapy, would sure be nice sometimes!

10. Janet says:

I applaud these parents for reaching out to find someone caring enough to raise their child with Down Syndrome. My husband and I adopted a baby with Down Syndrome whose parents abandoned him in the hospital after he was born with the surprise diagnosis. We are so glad they realized they were not up to the job and allowed us to bring home our son. He is now 4 years old, happy and healthy, and everyone won. Bless the parents, even if I couldn’t do what they did.

11. Usha says:

Coming from a third world country, where social acceptance of disability is low, a mother is blamed for the disability in her baby, she faces ossible desertion by her husband and where services are close to nil, I can sympathize with parents who may want to abort. Iam therefore amazed and very hapy that so many have come forwar.d

12. JENNY HUSER says:

A Disposable world. This couple has no idea of what they are about to do. God does not make mistakes, and they are up to the challenge of raising a child with special needs. They were giving a gift, a child, which they wanted, with DS is a very special gift. They were chosen for the very special gift. My daughter, which has DS, has taught me more and gave me more then I could ever give back. There whole being is one of love. I am very sorry for this couple, may God forgive them.

13. MsAmericanPatriot says:

Our culture has been hijacked by cultural marxism and the socialist mindset that thinks they are god. They do not value life unless it is perfect aka free from disability. Fabian Socialists which is part of this believes that if you can not contribute in some manner to society, you should be euthanized. It wasn’t always like this. At one time the disabled was cared for and loved by their families eventhough their existence was kept in the dark so to speak. We need more Sara Palins who value the life of the disabled person in their lives than those who see them as a burden. You see how the Democrats and Socialist HATE and attack her son Trig who has Down Syndrome.

14. Johnna Wheeler says:

I completely agree with Debbie Brown. Every person’s life is valuable. Great comments also from Dani and Janet. My husband and I lost 4 babies when we were in our mid-late 20’s. Left barren, I was tormented with the reality that I would never be able to have children, but even worse was the fact that I was contaminated during surgery and left to battle Systemic Candidiasis, and all the chronic illnesses that go with it, for the rest of my life. When we were 38 years old, we realized how permanent being childless is and how old we were getting. I went on the internet and searched the country for an “infant female with Downs Syndrome”. We adopted our daughter Lisa at the age of 13 from New Mexico. She had been in 5 foster homes in 5 years and was expected to age out of the system, but we gave her a family and a new life. Then we adopted Mandy at age 3 from Hong Kong. They are only allowed to have one child there and her parents already had a son, which is preferred. Children who are not perfect and females are offered for adoption. The wonderful thing about children with Downs Syndrome is that you “get some time back”, because they develop so slowly. Mandy was still in diapers, could barely walk, couldn’t talk and was as close to a baby as we would ever get. After loosing 4 babies, it was an honor and privilege to get to name my child. Her Chinese name was Man. Mandy is the only girls name that begins with “Man”, and it means worthy of love. It was perfect! Both of our daughters have Downs Syndrome, because that is what we wanted. Lisa is now 25 and Mandy is 13 years old. I have home schooled them since day one, and they are with me 24/7. I never grow tired of their company and treasure every moment. Lisa and Mandy are the greatest gift and wonderful blessings, not only to my husband and I, but to everyone they meet. They will never grow up and move out, and that is just the way we like it. We did the “empty nest” first, and now we can enjoy the rest of our lives with our daughters. There are so many things we will never have to deal with, and for that, I am grateful; ” Mom, can I borrow the car”, dating, college tuition, wedding plans, etc. Grandchildren are not in our future, but that’s okay too. This world is getting too scary anyway. We wanted to love children WHO ARE ALREADY HERE. We have 4 children in heaven, and that is the goal of every Christian parent. We have been blessed.

15. Fitz says:

At a time when 90% of pregnancies with Down Syndrome are being terminated, it is refreshing to see that someone is willing to carry this baby to term and place him/her up for adoption. That is definitely not the easy way out. Its sad to think that this whole population may be becoming extinct.

16. Jane brooks says:

My son has Down syndrome , autism ,apraxia and a print disability. T found this link searching for the process to adopt a person who has Down syndrome.

I can’t tell you how blessed I feel ,because of being his mom. He is my hero!