FDA Warns Of Life-Threatening Side Effects From Supposed Autism Treatment
Federal officials are warning against the use of a dangerous and unproven product that’s peddled online as a treatment for autism and other conditions.
The Food and Drug Administration says that consumers should not purchase or drink products known as Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, MMS, Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol, Water Purification Solution or similar.
MMS is not approved by the FDA for any purpose. Nonetheless, the product is often promoted on social media as a remedy for everything from autism to cancer, HIV/AIDS and the flu, the agency said.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Those selling MMS generally direct consumers to mix the sodium chlorite solution with some type of citric acid before drinking.
“When the acid is added, the mixture becomes chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent,” the FDA said in its warning to the public. These chemicals are the active ingredients in disinfectants, the agency notes, and are not intended to be swallowed.
This is not the first time the FDA has warned against using MMS-type products. However, the agency said it is doubling down on its effort following the initial consumer notice in 2010 after recently receiving reports of individuals experiencing severe vomiting or diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure and acute liver failure after drinking the solution.
“Miracle Mineral Solution and similar products are not FDA-approved, and ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach. Consumers should not use these products, and parents should not give these products to their children for any reason,” said Ned Sharpless, acting FDA commissioner. “The FDA will continue to track those selling this dangerous product and take appropriate enforcement actions against those who attempt to evade FDA regulations and market unapproved and potentially dangerous products to the American public.”